My nuclear family is getting Web-a-licious:
We moved from San Francisco to New Jersey in April 2001; now we live in Maplewood, the San Francisco of New Jersey.
Maplewood is “like Shangri-la,” opines Broadway hotshot Christine Ebersole. “It’s so culturally diverse, and all my children are adopted—a transracial family. And we’re not the freaks. Everybody flies their freak flag high in Maplewood!”
E.B. White’s granddaughter and Thelonius Monk’s grandson are enrolled in our school district, and we have a circus every Fourth of July. Taking the train out of New York in the heat of summer and rolling into the Maplewood train station evokes the town in the Twilight Zone episode “A Stop at Willoughby,” except with the aforementioned freak flags.
Maplewood Online offers some insights into the community, including a discussion board to rival Monty Python’s “Argument Clinic” sketch. You can check out the Village Cam for a live view of Maplewood Avenue that’s virtually indistinguishable from images dated 1959.
16 Euclid Avenue • Maplewood, NJ 07040
973.762.8107 • (c) 917.608.2794 • email@example.com
SENIOR STRATEGY ADVISOR with 15+ years’ experience creating monetization plans, developing online products and overseeing content-rich media products for consumer-facing digital media companies.
- CROSS-FUNCTIONAL leader who aligns operations, tech, marketing and sales to formulate and achieve revenue goals.
- PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT professional, skilled in conceiving and launching profitable media properties based on reader and industry needs that scale to millions of readers.
- CREATIVE EXECUTIVE with deep experience turning cross-media content into profit.
MATTHEW ROTHENBERG LLC
Principal 2008 – Present
Provide leadership and direction on content strategy, sales, operations, technology and platform design to make content a driver of revenue, brand and audience. Key partners include:
- Collaborated with eBay’s ad-sales team to develop new business relationships as well as set and implement content strategy and performance targets to close leads.
- Partnered with sales team at Contently Inc., a startup focused on providing editorial content, to corporate clients to drive new business.
- Advised Relationship Science LLC on data-driven content marketing.
- Established overall content strategy and implemented content for an enterprise client of Time Inc. Content Solutions.
- Stood as news editor for CBSNews.com’s MoneyWatch during migration to CBS News.
- Formulated content strategy for Shutterstock, the subscription-based stock-photo agency.
- Provided content strategy for HUGE Inc., the renowned digital agency.
- Advised Estee Lauder on its CMS selection.
Director, Editorial & Content 2008 – 2011
Led all content efforts for the market’s top destination for $100K+ job seekers.
- Led 40x increase in search engine traffic and unique visitors to Career Advice section
- Co-author with CEO Marc Cenedella of “You’re Better Than Your Job Search,” a 2010 book.
- Developed a track-based CRM system to provide career-management guidance.
- Created core curriculum as a conversion tool in the subscription/leads funnel.
- Led editorial and platform development as part of the company’s product team.
- Established the corporate voice for all aspects of marketing, PR and business initiatives.
- Media spokesman for TheLadders via print, television and radio appearances.
HACHETTE-FILIPACCHI MEDIA U.S.
Vice President/Editorial Director, Online 2006 – 2008
Set online content strategy, staffing and workflow for all Hachette’s titles in the United States as it transitioned from a print publisher to a digital-media company.
- Oversaw multimedia content of 12 Web sites, including Elle.com, CarandDriver.com, PopPhoto.com, Premiere.com, WomansDay.com and RoadandTrack.com.
- Led progressive redesigns of all brands in tandem with tech and business.
- Provided original and licensed video, editorial and community content.
- Worked with public-relations team to position brands and maximize traffic.
- Collaborated with business-development team to serve syndication partners.
ZIFF DAVIS MEDIA
Editor-in-Chief, eWEEK Magazine and eWEEK.com 2005 – 2006
Editor/Executive Editor, Ziff Davis Internet 2003 – 2005
Online Editor, Baseline.com and CIOInsight.com 2001 – 2003
Promoted to oversee content direction of 20-year-old flagship title, eWEEK Magazine and eWEEK.com (formerly PC Week). Transitioned content operations to combine the Internet and Print divisions.
- Grew the audience of Ziff Davis’ enterprise IT sites from 3MM page views and 1MM unique visitors to 10MM page views and 4MM unique visitors each month.
- Boosted page views for Baselinemag.com and CIOInsight.com 40% in one year.
- Oversaw content development for enterprise group of magazines and Web sites.
- Directed, as Executive Editor of Ziff Davis Internet, the editorial development of eWEEK.com, Baseline.com and CIOInsight.com, among more than a dozen online titles.
- Led editorial transition for major corporate reorganization in late 2004, combining editorial forces for eWEEK Magazine and eWEEK.com in just one month.
CNET NETWORKS INC.
Senior News Producer 2000 – 2001
Charged with overseeing opinion, reader feedback and Mac coverage for this major technology site.
- Revitalized Mac section, making it the #2 most popular site destination within three months.
- Packaged community-driven content into a distinct editorial section.
- Partnered with Producers to collaborate on television programming ideas.
MAC PUBLISHING, LLC
Director of Online Content, Mac Titles 1998 – 2000
Senior News Editor, MacWEEK 1997 –1998
Promoted from print division to oversee four online media properties, including MacWorld.com and MacWEEK.com.
- Transformed MacWEEK from a weekly print publication to a Web daily.
- Doubled MacWEEK.com’s traffic in just one year, with up to 9MM page views a month.
- Partnered with international Macworld licensees to increase global news coverage.
- Wrote regular “Mac the Knife” column and news for MacWEEK and MacWEEK.com.
Awards and Associations
- Won Jesse H. Neal National Business Journalism Award for “Best Single Article,” Baseline’s “Avon Products: The Ultimate CRM Machine,” March 2002.
- Nominated, “Best Breaking News,” ONA Journalism Awards, Microsoft-Watch.com, 2005.
B.A., Anthropology, U.C. San Diego, Graduated Magna Cum Laude.
After a long professional career at Ziff-Davis and assorted corporate cousins, I’ve taken a job running the men’s enthusiast titles at Hachette-Filipacchi Media U.S. In the process, I suspect I’ve dropped off the radars of some old friends and fellow-travelers.
Let’s see if I actually keep this spruced up!